Monday, December 8, 2008

Why you don't cry at school

Trudging up the stairs to my locker at 6:55 this morning, I was confronted by a disturbing sight: a girl crying beneath my feet. Just sitting beneath the stairs at that unearthly hour, weeping her eyes out. Okay, now I might not be the most emotional of all people, but I think that this is a red flag in your life; when you have found something to upset you within minutes of entering school. I mean, who is ever even awake enough to form coherent thoughts let alone complex emotions before 7:00?
So needless to say, I was very troubled by this sight, not because I was inherently worried about her well being (though curious as I may have been) or because she was creepy under the stairs (as I find all kids that hang out beneath peoples' feet), but because of the simple fact that she was crying underneath the stairs at 6:55 in the morning (seriously, do you even understand how preposterous that seems?)! Mostly, I always think it's a little weird when I see people showing overwhelming emotion at school or just in public in general anyway. Seriously, I mean why can't people save that stuff for home (or better yet, just bottle it all up until you explode)?

It's just like in the case of PDAs, gross! PDAs are definitely not a-okay. They bother me a ton because although there is no chance that I want two dirties making out and getting their nasty all over my locker, on a regular basis what am I met with in the halls but dirt balls making babies. Yeah, that's probably something they could save for another place too.
I guess what I'm saying is that in the realm of manners and composure that people in civilized society are supposed to have, we're pretty crappy. Just think, what would Miss Manners think of us now? Like really, why can't we all just pretend to be happy and normal, at least for the hours that we choose to be in public? And maybe even then we can choose to button it up and just sit in a stoic fashion.
However, to the contrary, I do enjoy poking a great deal of fun at the kids that are over-emotional. So, I suppose if you are equipped to take harsh criticism from kids at school (as I assume that the girl that had already found something to upset her during her first few minutes at school is certainly not) go ahead and cry, scream, make out, elate, whatever; go ahead and be a weirdo.

No comments: