Saturday, December 20, 2008

Damn prejudice sucks

I was talking with the kids at work the other day and they asked me if I believed in God. I thought about their question for a little bit, and then I answered no. This wasn't that big of a deal, or so I thought, because really, what right do my underage-drinking, drug-doing, school-dropping-out-of coworkers have to judge me on, but boy was I wrong!
As soon as I said this, they all looked at me as if they were about to throw up, as if to say damn you suck. "You don't believe in God?" one of them asked me in disgust.
"Uh nope," I answered. "Do you?"
Of course they were all devout Christians, or so they claimed (although I'm not sure that you can still be 'devout' while still engaging in many of the seven deadly sins, but whatever).
I asked them what difference it made, and they all kind of shrugged their shoulders. However, I wasn't about to make this some sort of reverse crusade because 'oh I'm so oppressed' or anything. Because, in truth, if I had told them that I was Jewish they would have had the same puky reaction as well. Really, all it comes down to, is that even though I liked to assume that everyone in the world is as accepting as I am, or at least mildly tolerant, they're really not.
The day after, one of those 'devout Christians' asked me another perplexing question. "Would you date a black guy?" he inquired.
"Of course I would," I replied. "Would you date a black girl?"
Once again, he looked at me in disgust. "I would date Rihanna," he replied, "but she's the only one."
Now, it was me who almost vomited all over him. "What are you talking about?" I snapped. "Are you serious?" I posed this question with a heavy twinge of disgust in my mouth, and he stared ahead, stupidly.
I guess this came as a shock to me because it seems so backward that people can preach such tolerance and then turn around and be such a but hole. Now, I'm not going to try and get all preachy, but seriously, if you don't see what's wrong with racism then there's something wrong with you.
The next week, an African American family came into work. They were polite as could be, but some of my coworkers were still jerks to them. When my manager, who happens to be one of the bigots, instructed me to help them, the lady looked at me, perturbed. "Good, that man was so rude!" she exclaimed
I was embarrassed for everyone in the situation. I apologized profusely and proceeded in my most polite manner. When the family had gone, my manager came back to talk to me, as if what he had just done was forgivable in some way. As he stepped into my view, I turned my head at him and stuck up my middle finger, then walked away.

No comments: