Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Experiencing the magic of snow

If school brought the same joy to me that snow days do (though by the very nature of both, they can never be equivocal) then I think I would like it.
Snow days are the most delightful part of life, I do believe; I can think of nothing negative about them. Although it forces me to shovel and spend more than an ounce of time with my family, and they always mean that my driveway is too icy to leave, I truly love snow days. Maybe it's the lack of school or the fact that snow is my favorite form of precipitation, but I elate every time our lovely superintendent decides to make my day.
I was recently talking with some of my friends, and they mentioned how they did not enjoy snow. (Yet somehow they still enjoy snow days, pretty hypocritical if you ask me.) I was shocked and taken aback, for what kind of person can't find anything to enjoy about snow? Thus, for their benefit and the benefit of anyone else who has, up to this point, been wasted on snow's beauty, I complied a list of reasons why I love snow:

1. Snow blankets the world in a new color. Most of the time things are green or brown, but snow covers everything to make it a glistening, glittery white.

2. Snow forces us to slow down. We can't drive as fast (unless you really want a reason to hate snow) and so we are forced to enjoy nature, which is not a bad deal if you ask me.

3. Sledding. Need I say more? It's fun even when you're as old as me.

4. An unexpected day off filled with hot chocolate and no school!

5. Snow means Christmas, the best time of the year. Shopping and singing, and listening to delightful carols. Watching Frosty the Snowman and the Grinch (even though I have actually never seen that movie). Twinkle lights illuminating cities and evergreens in every department store are the icing on the cake. (Oh, but don't let me leave out the other great holidays that are during the winter too: Hanukkah, Kwanzaa, and sometimes Ede.)

6. Snow is inherently peaceful. It doesn't make noise but is still beautiful to watch.

And so, for those of you who haven't yet been exposed to the splendor of snow, let me invite you to sit around the fire,





turn up the tunes,





make a cup of hot cocoa,
and enjoy!




No comments: