Friday, January 30, 2009

If everyone were a doctor, then who would need them?

I was talking with this kid the other day and we were saying what we wanted to be when we grew up. He eluded to the fact that he wanted to be a doctor and I told him that doctor would never be my profession. "Why?" he sneered.
I told him that I didn't like dealing with sick people and that I really wasn't good in serious situations including death and such. I also said that science wasn't really something that I was interested in and told him that it just wouldn't be a way that I wanted to spend my life. He turned to me and told me that my aspirations were stupid.
"What?" I gawked at his bluntness. First of all, who says something like this? What right does he have to qualify my life aspirations anyway? So, trying to tolerate him and listen to his point of view, I asked him why he wanted to be a doctor. He responded something to the effect of, 'because I will make a lot of money'.
Yeah, that's right. Not because he genuinely wants to help people and not because he likes medicine, but because he wants to be rich. That, to me, was completely ridiculous. However, he continued to chalk it up in saying that becoming a doctor is the only noble profession.
Ok so I'm just saying that it's all well and good for him to want to play God in the future, but he doesn't have to act as though he is as important as God now, because quite frankly he is not. And furthermore, if we all followed the sentiment that doctor is the only job worth having, and we all became doctors, then who would need them anymore? We could all fix ourselves. So yeah, think about that, jerk.

No comments: