Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Lessons learned from junior year

As the school year is finally coming to a close, I guess I have nothing left to do but reflect upon all of my junior year experiences, and the fabulous lessons I have learned throughout the past eight months. And so, here are my fabulous lessons:
  • Approximately 14 months ago, I made a horrible mistake, in the form of making one check; I chose to take AP Chemistry. And if that experience has taught me anything, it is that no matter how smart you are and how hard you work, you will always feel stupid in AP Chem. There is almost no exception to this rule; the lack of sufficient teaching and boring as death lectures make it near impossible to trudge through the work.
  • I begged the Editor-in-Chief of our school newspaper for months to allow me to write an editorial, but every time he made a twisted face as he tried to lie through his teeth. He would say, "uh, I don't think we have room this time, but next time...maybe." It was quite obvious: he didn't think I could do it. But when I swindled my way into another girl's spot, he had to let me; there were no more excuses. And so, I wrote the whole editorial, and it was published and everything. The repercussions that came from work, however, taught me lesson number two: everything has consequences, even if you don't think your colleagues can read a newspaper. And furthermore, I learned that you can indeed get fired for publishing anything that could be misconstrued as slander (although I was not).
  • This year I also learned some practical lessons, that I can hopefully take over into the real world. First, I learned that some incorrect police officers believe that it is the law that you have to carry ID with you everywhere in public, even if you're not driving. And with that, I learned that there is no way I will ever dispute a cop because I am too afraid, and so it is probably just a good idea to take my licence with me everywhere.
  • I learned this year that coming to class isn't nearly as important as I once thought, and skipping is in all scenarios, much more fun. I have skipped so much school this year, like really I may have skipped almost as much as I have attended. And obviously, it hasn't been that big of a deal (except for I would never intentionally skip AP Lang, of course!)

No comments: