Monday, October 13, 2008

Should the commander in chief wear lipstick?

As a girl, and one ambitious to achieve dreams more numerous than getting married and having babies, I often find myself at odds on the issue of women in politics. While there's no doubt that we, as a gender, should someday have a vital role above first lady, when that time should come is still up in the air to me.
I think that the gender controversies in this election demonstrate perfectly the fact that America is not ready for a woman commander in chief. But it's not the bigot hillbillies that I have found to demonstrate this thought, it is more the crazy women of America (and I say that in the most supportive way.)
As a gal from a family of six (five of us of the double X chromosomes), I was subjected to a lot of excitement when Hillary announced her candidacy. My mom and older sister were overwhelmingly excited about the whole affair and became political groupies. I on the other hand, chose a candidate that contradicted their choice.
One day, in discussion of our beliefs, I asked my mom why she wanted Hillary to win, do you know what she said? Because she's a woman! I was appalled; really she had little political basis for her opinion, just the fact that Hillary could wear lipstick was enough for her.
No I don't mean to make a spectacle out of my mom, because she has a right to her own opinion, and in all fairness, she may have had valid thoughts that were not expressed to me, but really the thought that naive women of America could elect our president based on her gender makes me sick to my stomach.And now, Clinton is out and Palin is in, so what does that mean? Will gung-ho feminists pounce at the opportunity to put a female into office despite the fact that she is totally ill-prepared for the job? They argue that these female candidates have valid points and good morals and whatnot, but really, our two have kind of been duds on the spectrum of political abilities; we have Hilary Clinton who selfishly tried to piggyback off of her husband's success and Palin who has no experience with anything.
I think that if we really want to make history for the ladies, we should make sure that it's not a historical blunder; let's wait until a female with some political ability comes around, and moreover let's wait until the women of America aren't so stupid and anxious to pounce upon the first candidate to come knocking.

No comments: