Friday, October 17, 2008

I am Homer Simpson

How do you formulate informed opinions? I know, that's a silly question; by being informed, right? It seems simple enough that by the simple act of watching the news, going to school and asking about the world would give us basis for forming cohesive thought. Why is it then that I, one of the most politically, economically and globally inquisitive person (from my age bracket mind you) that I know, find myself at a total loss for independent thought?
It's an absurd realization that although I have no trouble voicing my opinions on fashion and movies, when it comes down to what really counts, my years of absorbing Charles Gibson's riveting stories and avidly reading The New York Times and The Washington Post have left me virtually as smart as Homer Simpson.
What are my views on politics: if I hear the words Obama or McCain one more time I might scream; on the economy: the bailout bores me; and on foreign policy: I've given up hope of ever understanding war strategies. On a whole, I have never had to present my ideas in a cohesive form, or even really formulate any ideas for myself, they were always just kind of there for me.
So, who is to blame in my opinion blunder? NPR for always spoon-feeding me my opinions? My teachers for transforming AP courses into fact regurgitation sessions? My parents for never engaging me in opinion-based conversation? Or myself for never taking the initiative to think through the important issues of today?
Really though, the saddest part about this information, is that I am not alone. No, I am not just a deadbeat of society, quite to the contrary I am one of the masses simply conforming with the norm. In this sense, it probably shouldn't bother me, because I have always seen fitting in and being average in a positive light, but honestly it digs at my conscience. I guess what I'm saying here is that I realize that as a people, Americans are morons and I don't want to amass among the total stupidity of our culture; not learning is not okay and sitting blankly at this blog screen for large chunks of time because I have nothing to write about is not alright. From this moment on, I commit to learning and staying as far away from my Homer Simpson parody as possible, because although the world could use more doughnut-obsessed, dim-witted fat men for entertainment value, in the realm of knowledge they provide nothing.

No comments: