Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Change isn't as enchanting

As the election drags on and I have been bombarded with images of Barack Obama and John McCain for the past two years or so, I have begun to grow weary, and what's worse, critical.
The image of Obama used to symbolize what is great about our democratic system to me, the fact that normal people, (or at least people with t
he ability to make themselves seem average,) could be eligible for the highest position in the country. That, after so many years of failure, an fresh face could take the country by storm with his new, radical thinking.
Yeah, I was one of the crazies at the Obama rallies who waved their sign and listened intently as he spoke. I proudly advocated my support for him to my parents and defended him with vim and vigor whenever they put any doubt upon him.
However, now that the election is nearing what seems to be it's thousandth week, I have really started to look critically at Obama, and what I found is quite troubling. Really, my emerging problem with the fellow, is that although I really like him, he doesn't seem to have actual action plans. I mean, we can mindlessly yell "Change!" as many times as we want, but that doesn't mean that it's going to do anything.
But don't get me wrong, if the election was today, and I was 18, I would still check the box for Barack Obama, undoubtedly. And, when it comes down to votes, I think that's what the democratic campaign is banking on; the fact that Americans won't get sick of Obama by November 4, (I mean give them a few more months and they would all be ready to swing to the right.) That's probably why the people of the democratic party are such strong advocates for early voting.
This is not to say, however, that as my love for Barack Obama has faded that I have begun to advocate John McCain in any way. Nope, he's still pretty boring in my eyes too; and when he croaks I would not want to be left with Sara Palin as our president, because she actually seems really stupid. Maybe, we should all just take the path of writing in Mickey Mouse as our candidate and we could have a much simpler existence as a nation, because both of our candidates are beginning to suck.
So here's the plan: dress the candidates up in super hero costumes and make them more interesting, that's the winning strategy!

1 comment:

El Cabrito said...

comment comment!
you have "as the election wares on"
i do believe that ware is an improper word. should be something like wears on shouldnt it? maybe not but i think that that looks goofy.