Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Going green

I would consider myself an environmentally conscious person, in many respects. I have many beliefs, but rarely do I act on them. I was a vegetarian for about three months, but that didn't work out. It wasn't because I couldn't do it, but more because my parents thought that I would get sick and die from it, and really it's probably one of the reasons that I have anemia right now, but that's not that big of a deal.
Anyway, I really like to help the environment in any way that I can; I turn off lights at my house and am starting a compost pile at my house. I try to buy only green fabrics, such as cotton and I watch the food my family buys. One of my only slip-ups is that I am incredibly wasteful of water; something that I am trying to work on.
Someday, after I graduate college, I plan to join the Peace Corps. Now I know that this is something that everyone says in a feigned way, but I am serious; I have been looking at it for years. I know that this probably goes against what most people would envision out of me, because I seem a bit high-maintenance, but I can adapt. And besides, the opportunity to help the world in any way that I can is something that I am always up for.
Recently, I was introduced to the website Earthle by a friend. It was formed by Google in 2007; a mirroring site with one major difference--it is black. Here is Earthle's mission statement:

Help Save 750 Megawatt-Hours a Year
Earthle was created with the idea in mind that if we as humans ALL join together and make the smallest of changes in our daily lives we can have massive impacts on saving Mother Earth. If humans around the world were to start using Earthle it would save an estimated 750 Megawatt-hours a year.
When you search using Earthle, the results are powered by google.com so the search results provided by Earthle are the same as what you would get using google.com (the best search engine in the world).
Essentially, there is no easier way to help our environment. Although I realize that I do not get nearly as many users of my blog, I have decided to convert the page to black with gray font, if you haven't already realized this. I hope to do a little more to help the environment with this school project.

No comments: