Sunday, February 1, 2009

The main event: it's not football at all

It is pretty obvious to anyone that knows me even a little that I am not a die hard football fan by any means. In fact, it was only today, on the day of the Superbowl, that a kid named Kyle informed me that the Cardinals were in fact a football team, (for those of you as out of the loop as I am, which is probably nobody, they played in the big game). However, the part about the Super Bowl that I do actually enjoy watching, from time to time, are the commercials. Over the years they have gotten to be extremely clever, and in going to YouTube to seek out inspiration for this blog, I found some particularly clever ones that I thought I would share. I really liked this SoBe Life Water clip:


This wasn't the only nice one that I quickly gained access to on the internet though. Check out this one from careerbuilder.com:


And finally, this one from Cars.com caught my eye and made me chuckle:


Commercials are a funny thing, I think, when you think about it. They are only little widgets of time in which advertisers try to cram information down our throats by disguising it in the form of jokes and flashy colors. And while we would all love to believe that we are smarter than to succumb to the influence of TV, in reality we are not. The price that networks are able to put on every second of air time during the Super Bowl are a prime example of this.
For example, in 2009, the price of a 30 second of a Super Bowl commercial was approximately 3 million dollars! That's how many houses? How many cars? If economic times are tough right now, TV stations sure aren't feeling it. This just goes to show, I think, the sheer power of the commercial; advertisers know it and they are not willing to waste their time piddling in radio when the big show is on TV. That's why this year they're keeping them bold and funny, nothing too sappy. Because, in the end, they know the ones that keep you laughing, that force you to go change your pants because you giggled so hard you peed, those are the ones that you're going to remember and share with other people. That is how they will make their money.

No comments: