Saturday, November 8, 2008

Nice try (still-a-senator) McCain

In life, there are always disappointments, and John McCain suffered the most public and difficult of them all; losing a presidential election.
Handling it gracefully, like the true gentleman I'm sure he his, however, Senator McCain delivered a remarkable concession speech at the Phoenix Biltmore Hotel. He commended the democratic process and thanked his supporters, his running mate, Governor Palin, and above all his family.
But, the most profound piece of his speech, was his response to the boos from the crowd. It was to these that he called upon all Americans, whether republican or democrat, to come together as a people in support behind our new President Elect, Barack Obama. And now, a quote from his concession speech:
"Tonight, more than any night, I hold in my heart nothing but love for this country and for all its citizens, whether they supported me or Senator Obama, I wish Godspeed to the man who was my former opponent and will be my president.
And I call on all Americans, as I have often in this campaign, to not despair of our present difficulties but to believe always in the promise and greatness of America, because nothing is inevitable here.
Americans never quit. We never surrender. We never hide from history, we make history."

It is said that when people speak from the heart, it often comes out well. Thus, I believe that by John McCain's beautiful delivery of this speech, that it was from the pit of his soul.


And so, it is with that speech, that I thank John McCain for running in this race, providing a formidable opponent to Barack Obama, and providing a wonderful voice for the Republican Party ideals.
He has been a great servant to our country and has provided us as Americans with many of the freedoms that we perpetually take for granted. I think that Barack Obama said it best in his acceptance speech at Grant Park, Chicago:
"I just received a very gracious call from Senator McCain. He fought long and hard in this campaign, and he's fought even longer and harder for the country he loves. He has endured sacrifices for America that most of us cannot begin to imagine, and we are better off for the service rendered by this brave and selfless leader. I congratulate him and Governor Palin for all they have achieved, and I look forward to working with them to renew this nation's promise in the months ahead."

Yes, Senator McCain, thank you for all that you have helped us to accomplish and for aiding us to be the flourishing society that we are today. Your service will forever be indebted.

No comments: